Wales National Pool Swansea believes learning to swim and keeping fit is important for all ages and this is reflected in our comprehensive Aqua School Programme.
We offer a range of swimming lessons and aquatic classes that cater for people of all ages and abilities.
Our Aqua School staff are highly qualified, experienced teachers and instructors who follow the Swim Wales “Learn to Swim Wales” (LTSW) framework and the Royal Lifesaving Society’s (RLSS) Qualification Scheme.
- Children and Youth Lessons
We offer a comprehensive range of swimming classes that cater for children of all ages and abilities.
Please contact Reception on 01792 513513 to discuss your child’s ability and lessons availability.
- Early Years (Target January 2023)
Bubbles Splash There are 4 levels of progression in Bubbles, with aquatic skills progressively developing throughout each level.
Responsible adults are taught how to support and aid the child through games, songs and themed fun activities. A certificate is available for successfully completing each level.
The Splash framework encourages a young child’s increasingly independent and guided discovery of the aquatic environment to develop water confidence, specifically aimed at children aged 3+.
There are 6 levels of progression in Splash, with aquatic skills progressively developing throughout each level, with
the child being increasingly independent in the water.
Beginners 7 + Here at WNPS we recognised a long time ago that kids age 7+, generally, do not want to learn in lessons alongside 4-6 year olds. Just like in school – they want to have fun and learn to swim with kids their own age, at a pace conducive with their intellectual age. Our teachers recognise this too, which is why the lessons are fun and age appropriate whilst still considering possible confidence concerns. Beginners 7+ is not part of the existing Learn to Swim Framework, it is however a combination of Waves 1-3.
*Please note that your child needs to be 1.25m tall to attend
Wave 1 Aims
1. Develop confidence in the water
2. Be safe while in the water, and when getting in and out of the pool
3. Learn basic floating, sculling and breathing techniques
4. Start to learn front crawl, backstroke and either
breaststroke or butterfly, with aids if needed
Wave 2 Aims
1. Be able to jump into the pool
2. Improve sculling, floating and breathing techniques
3. Glide in the streamlined position
4. Swim short distances of front crawl, backstroke and either breaststroke or butterfly, without aids
Wave 3 Aims
1. Collect an object from the pool floor
2. Improve sculling and floating
3. Learn how to tread water
4. Learn the Safe Code
5. Swim short distances of all four strokes: front crawl,
backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly, without aids
Wave 4 Aims
1. Learn how to do dolphin kicks underwater
2. Learn the HELP position
3. Improve floating and treading water techniques
4. Improve the technique of all four strokes Times
Wave 5 Aims
1. Learn different shaped jumps
2. Learn how to do a forward somersault and a handstand in the water
3. Improve sculling and personal survival techniques
4. Swim longer distances in all four strokes, including a length (25 metres) of your favourite stroke
Wave 6 Aims
1. Learn how to warm-up properly for exercise and why
2. Learn how to do a backward somersault, headfirst surface dive and sitting dive
3. Improve personal survival techniques, including swimming with clothes on
4. Swim longer distances in all four strokes, concentrating on technique
Wave 7 Aims
1. Learn how to do a plunge dive
2. Improve floating, sculling, treading water and rotation skills
3. Swim longer distances in all four strokes and swim an Individual Medley
4. Swim as part of a team in a relay race Times
- Fun and Skills
Aqua Club – Junior Fitness For kids who’ve completed the Learn to Swim programme, but want to stay in aquatics and maintain or improve their fitness, this is a great course.
All strokes are covered in this course with a focus on increasing distances and improving stamina while maintaining stroke technique. This is a great start for developing lifelong aquatic fitness!
Aqua Club – Aqua Allsorts Our youth club in the pool! For kids who’ve been through the learn to swim programme, are bored of lane training but want to stay in aquatics, this is a great course.
Activities throughout the course vary and include lifesaving/water safety tuition, mini water polo, fun race night with a little bit of stroke and technique training thrown in some weeks to keep up skills and stamina already acquired through the main lesson programme.
It’s cool in our pool!
– Preparation for exercise
– Bodyweight exercises
– Nutrition for exercise performance
– Skills & strokes covered in later Aqua School stages
– Swimming for health and fitness
– Individual/Team racing
– Obstacle course combining skills
– Use of swimming aids (fins etc). NB Does not currently include snorkelling
– HELP & Huddle Positions
– Throwing Rescue
– Reach from Side with Aid Rescue
– Item carry/retrieval, with partner
– Obstacle course combining skills
– Synchronised timing & performance of skills (submerging, floating, push & glides etc) in small groups
– Water Polo/Basketball
– Skill practice – Throwing, Catching etc. Modified Water Polo/Basketball
Aqua Club – Stroke/Technique Our stroke technique class for those beyond Stage 7 is a great chance to develop further quality stroke technique, stamina and fitness. All delivered in a fun & friendly atmosphere, without the challenge of early starts and rigorous training routines.
RLSS Rookies Bronze Rookies – lifesaving lessons for kids! Bronze is the entry level to this fantastic kids lifesaving awards programme. Designed for children aged 8 to 12 the awards offer the opportunity to follow a structured RLSS lifesaving skills programme, including Water Safety, Rescue, Self Rescue and Emergency Responses. The aims of Rookies is to:
– Teach Lifesaving Skills
– Increase Swimming Competence
– Develop Survival Skills in Water
– Develop Confidence, Initiative and Judgement
– Develop Teamwork and Leadership
– Hang out, learn skills, make friends, keep fit & healthy for life!
RLSS Rookies Silver Mid level RLSS Rookie lifeguard award. Taking basic skills further and challenging participants on both swim ability and lifesaving skills. A great way to hang out, learn, have fun and make friends – all in a healthy and safe environment!
RLSS Rookies Gold & Masters
The top flight of Rookie Lifesaving. Once this stage is achieved kids are much safer in the water but still have plenty to learn about personal water safety and lifesaving and generally progress onto the RLSS Survive and Save awards.
RLSS Survive & Save
Our RLSS awarded lifesaving programme is a bigger challenge for those over 12’s whom have completed Rookies Gold or those over 12 whom are interested in getting involved in lifesaving. The courses are a great preparation for a career in lifesaving and some children are chosen to become Rookie Lifeguard volunteer helpers. In addition from the age of 16, they can use their skills to undertake lifeguarding or teaching qualifications.
- Adult Lessons
We offer a range of swimming lessons for adults of all abilities, to improve their water skills and fitness. It can be very difficult to work out which ability level you fit into – the guide below should assist!
- Water Confidence
This course aims to take someone through the journey of being uncomfortable with being in the water, through to someone who can confidently float and begin to propel themselves forward, safely and with ease through the water. Then, when eager to learn to swim the strokes, you can move on to our Adult Beginners classes.
The initial emphasis of this level will work on body position in the water and then develop, to build a sound foundation for swimming which will underpin the performance of sound swimming technique. As well as becoming completely “at home” on and under water, the swimmer will be developing control in water breathing and beginning to experiment with the different methods of using the limbs for propulsion.
The focus in this level is building competence in the basic elements of propulsion, using the main swimming strokes with a continuing emphasis on the importance of good streamlining and breathing control. Once an acceptable degree of basic competence is achieved in the fundamental skills, it is time to progress to the development of more efficient swimming. This level also consolidates the wider range of associated aquatic disciplines as well as providing for the development of a greater awareness and expertise in personal water safety and survival swimming.
As well as further developing the main swimming strokes, this category acts as an introduction to the early stages of training in competitive swimming; provides a basis for swimming as a part of a healthy lifestyle; and continues with more advanced activities in the other disciplines. The development of both basic aerobic swimming endurance and swimming speed are integrated within the Programme.
This stage also focuses on the consolidation of effective technique, the racing skills associated with them and a suitable range of drills and practices. The final stages introduce more demanding aspects of training development.
- Aqua Fitness Classes
There really is something for everyone in this programme whether you are just starting out on the journey into aquatics or you are serious swimmer training for yourself or competition. We are continually reviewing and developing the sessions we offer to ensure that you can get the best out of your National Pool.
We have many customers returning week after week to benefit from the fantastic tuition and to workout with friends – old & new! If you’re into Triathlon, Fitness Swimming, Aqua Aerobics or any watersport, we’ve got a class that will keep you in tip top condition – great for the body and even greater for the mind.
When you visit us please remember to bring a water bottle for sensible re-hydration and inform the instructor of any changes to your health or new injuries or conditions that may affect your participation or safety.
- Swim 4 Tri
Join us and start your triathlon journey today.
Whether you are a beginner looking to try your first triathlon or a regular triathlete then Swim4Tri is for YOU. Swim4Tri is great for improving your swim fitness and technique ready for that cold dip into the sea and will leave you feeling stronger and more accomplished.
Swim4 Tri Sessions are suitable for all standards of ability whether you are new to triathlon, training towards a specific event or a regular competitor. We will ensure you are training at the right level, through top quality coaching and an emphasis on technique correction, for all aspects of triathlon.
Aquacise is a fun, water aerobics class that helps you keep trim without wear and tear on your body. Male or female, our classes suit all ages & abilities. With the help of the instructors, you can make the class as easy or as difficult as you wish.
What our customers say about Aquacise…
“A fun way of keeping fit without fear of injury.”
“Great exercising to music with friends.”
“The water is wonderfully supportive.”
“Amazing sense of wellbeing that stays long after a session’s finished.”
“A great workout that you can tailor to your preferred level.”
- Adult Fitness Session
This session gives adults/senior swimmers who are above the advanced level an opportunity to develop their swimming ability for fitness or competition purposes. The sessions focus on the consolidation of effective technique into longer distance stamina work, the racing skills associated with the strokes and a suitable range of drills and practices. The sessions involve more demanding aspects of training development.
There are two levels of Adult Fitness class, Beginners Adult Fitness and Intermediate/Advanced.
Our beginner’s sessions aim to build up fitness and strokes, using a range of techniques, drills and workouts. The class is run over a 25m distance. They are ideal for anyone who has had improvers lessons/improvers level, who can swim a minimum of 25m front crawl, but who do not feel confident swimming in the 50m pool.
Our intermediate sessions aim to build on existing fitness and ability, review techniques further and identify training plans to achieve personal goals or specific training needs and are delivered in the 50m pool.
In each session, you will receive:-
- An Instructor led session
- Coaching points on stroke technique & skills
- A Great workout
- An alternative to a masters swimming club
- The opportunity to meet others and identify training partners
- Free U16’s Splash & Play
Free swimming for all U16’s during FREE SPLASH and HOLIDAY SPLASH sessions (must register with us at reception)
- Aqua School Terms and Conditions
Aqua School Terms and Conditions
Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
- By booking, or by attendance at a swimming lesson with us, you accept these terms and conditions and they will form a contract between us.
- You will ensure that any children that you bring to the swimming pool will follow the rules set out in these terms and conditions.
- Should a customer fail to adhere to these terms and conditions, the customer may be requested to cease lessons with Wales National Pool Swansea Ltd.
- We reserve the right to make changes to these terms and conditions at any time. You will be notified of changes by email.
- In the first instance, lessons are booked over the phone or in person and payment taken at the time of booking.
- All lessons are payable in advance either in blocks or by direct debit. The fee for your lesson(s) will be confirmed at the point of booking.
- Group lessons are payable in blocks of 12. You will receive an email notification at 3, 2, and 1 weeks prior to the end of the 12 weeks. Failure to pay for the next block will result in you/your child being removed from the class immediately after the last lesson.
- Private lessons are payable in blocks of 6. You will receive and email notification at 3, 2, and 1 weeks prior to the end of the 12 weeks. Failure to pay for the next block will result in you/your child being removed from the class immediately after the last lesson.
- Direct debit payments are available for group and private lessons. The monthly direct debit is based on the number of lessons over the year divided by 12, including days where lessons cannot take place because of programme breaks and events. Therefore, refunds do not need to be given.
- Direct debits are payable monthly in advance and are taken on the 1st of the month (or the first working day thereafter).
- An initial payment is required when paying by direct debit to include the lessons up until the first direct debit can be taken (where lessons are booked on or after the 15th of the month this will include a pro rata amount for the current month and the whole of the following month).
- If you wish to cancel your direct debit you can do so with 30 days written notice by the 10th of each month.
- Waves 1 – 5 lessons are 30 minutes and Waves 6 and 7 and all adult lessons are 40 minutes. Where a child is moving from a 30 minute lesson to a 40 minute lesson, there will be an increase in the monthly direct debit and block lesson price.
Pool Closures and Cancellation
- In the event of a pool closure or lesson cancellation, you will be contacted via email as soon as possible. Please ensure your contact details are up to date.
- The General Manager reserves the right to change the programme at short notice. Any changes will be made with the minimum disruption and credits/refunds will be offered where a cancellation is made by WNPS (other than those dues to events or programme breaks as this is factored into the lesson pricing).
Cancelling Your Lessons
- Should you wish to cancel your swimming lessons we require 4 weeks’ notice of cancellation. All swimming lesson cancellations should be made by email to email@example.com.
- You may cancel a session up until 60 minutes before the start to receive a refund.
Illness and Medical Conditions
- If you/your child is feeling unwell, we recommend that you do not attend swimming lessons.
- Lesson attendees with a contagious illness should not attend swimming for a period of 48 hours after the symptoms have passed. This is particularly important if you have suffered from vomiting and/or diarrhoea.
- Should you/your child appear to be ill during a lesson, we reserve the right to cancel their lesson.
- Wales National Pool Swansea are unable to offer refunds for lessons missed due to illness or any other reason.
- You must inform us of any medical conditions at the time of booking. Any new conditions that may affect your child when swimming should be made known to Wales National Pool Swansea as soon as possible.
Teaching Policies, Procedures and Parental Responsibilities
- All Wales National Pool Swansea lessons are taught by teachers with suitable qualifications.
- All teachers have undergone an enhanced DBS check and safeguarding training.
- If a teacher is unable to attend a lesson, we will endeavour to find a cover teacher.
- If a teacher is unable to teach at extremely short notice, we reserve the right to combine classes if appropriate and safe in order to avoid swimmers missing a lesson. Classes will not be combined if this results in the class size being exceeded as per Swim Wales’ Learn to Swim Wales, guidelines.
- While we try to provide a consistent teacher for each class, we cannot always guarantee that you/your child will have the same swimming teacher each week.
- Swimming teachers are only responsible for pupils during their swimming lesson and parents/guardians/carers are responsible at all other times. The swimming lesson begins when the swimming teacher accepts charge of pupils and ends when the lesson time finishes.
- Parents/guardians/carers must remain on the site while the pupil is in their lesson. This is imperative in case of the unlikely event of a medical emergency, building evacuation or other emergency.
- Parents/guardians/carers must not distract a swimming teacher during lesson time. Should you wish to have a discussion with the teacher, this can be done during breaks between lessons or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Progress can always be monitored on the home portal.
General Pool Rules and Dress Code
- It is advised that swimmers must shower, use the toilet, and blow their nose before the lesson begins.
- Shoes must not be worn on poolside by swimmers or parents/guardians/carers.
- Appropriate clothing must be worn at all times. Footwear must be worn outside of the pool hall and changing village.
- Clothing worn in the pools must be designed for use in a swimming pool, or be reserved exclusively for use in a swimming pool and be fit for purpose, be of suitable material, not offend decency, and be hygienic, safe and unlikely to put either the user or others at risk.
- Swimmers must either tie back long hair or wear a suitable swimming cap.
- Children may wear swimming goggles; however, teachers may sometimes request goggles to be removed during certain activities.
- Swimmers and parents/guardians/carers should not enter poolside until 5 minutes before the start of their lesson time.
- Swimmers should not enter the water until invited to do so by their swimming teacher.
- Swimmers must leave the pool as soon as the teacher has ended the lesson.
- Under no circumstance should anyone run on poolside.
- Safety of our swimmers is paramount. Anyone unknown to Wales National Pool Swansea who cannot reasonable identify themselves and is giving cause for concern in relation to safety will be asked to leave the premises.
- All bookings are non-transferable. Only the person’s name on the register may attend the class. This applies to both group and private lessons.
- Wales National Pool Swansea reserves the right to refuse someone access to the swimming pool or ask them to leave a lesson/pool hall if they feel they present a safety risk to themselves or others.
Pupil Progression and Badges
- All swimmers are taught and assessed in line with the Swim Wales’ Learn to Swim Wales Lesson and Award System.
- Swimming teachers will continually assess pupil progress.
- Progress will be recorded on tablets poolside and parents/guardians/carers will be able to access this information via the home portal (this will be updated on the portal at the end of each day’s lesson programme).
- Progression of swimmers will be at the discretion of the teacher.
- A teacher will advise the parent/guardian/carer via the parent portal when a child is ready to move up and parents/guardians/carers will be able to manage the move to the next Wave via the home portal.
- Due the continuous progressive nature of our lessons, a space may not be immediately available when your child is ready to move up.
- Wales National Pool Swansea would appreciate it if you could notify us if your child is going to be absent.
- We are unable to offer a refund for a lesson that is missed for any reason.
- We are unable to offer replacement lessons as this could result in our maximum class sizes being exceeded.
- Drivers must adhere to the speed limit of 15mph in the WNPS car park.
- Vehicles must be parked in designated parking spaces of WNPS and display a valid ticket or permit.
- The parking fees are 50p four up to 2 hours and then £1.00 for 2 – 4 hours. They are cash only and the correct money is required. Change is not available from Wales National Pool Swansea reception.
- Parking/waiting is not permitted in the Emergency Vehicles Bays, the rear service yard, pavements, verges or on double yellow lines.
Any grievances should be made in writing as soon as possible to email@example.com.
By attending lesson with Wales National Pool Swansea, you are accepting responsibility to adhere to all latest government guidelines in relation to COVID-19.
Please stay away if you:
- Have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days.
- Are waiting for a COVID-19 test or the results.
- Have any of the following symptoms:
- A new, continuous cough*, a high temperature or fever, loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste. (* A new, continuous cough means coughing for longer than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours. If the patient usually has a cough, it may be worse than usual).
- Live with someone who has either tested positive for COVID-19 or had symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Are required to quarantine on return from a trip abroad in line with current Welsh Government requirements.
- We are asking you to arrive beach ready wherever possible. This means we are asking you to have your swimwear on when you arrive.
- Teachers teach from poolside and there is no Level 1 assistant in the water.